Question

Depression
I think my sister may be suffering from some form of depression. She is miserable most of the time and snaps alot. She also makes jokes about dying and that the afterlife is a better place to be. She isn't happy at work or home. Her relationship with me and our mother has deteriorated. I can't take to her anymore coz she's not open. Any advice?

Dear Adina,
That certainly does sound like Depression, potentially a serious depression. As ou reader suggests, you need to sit down with her and carefully explain that you are very concerned for her welfare, and are sure that she could be feeling a very great deal better, with proper help. People who get depressed, often withdraw from others, even those who used to be close to them. Worse, those who are thinking of suicide, sometimes decide to be withdrawn and indeed unpleasant to those who love them, thinking in the distorted way that Depression creates, that it may make you pull back, leave them alone, and perhaps not to miss them so much when they go.
Maybe both you and your mother could approach her, sympathetically, and continue to encourage her to see her GP, ideally, to see a shrink, for a proper assessment and to start treatment. If she resists the idea on the grounds that she has decided her situation is hopeless, remind her that if indeed it is hopeless, there's absolutely nothing to lose by getting sincerely involved in treatment to see if things can improve.