Ask an expert

26 Jul 2011

Depression what now?
I was diagnosed with depression about 3 weeks ago and put on Lexamil. I don''t feel that anything has really changed. I understand that medication takes time to work, but how can I get through each day? How do I conquer these terrible despair and thoughts that haunts me so much? I am a normal functioning person and to other people I seem fine (they don''t know about the depression), because I don''t wear my heart on my sleeve, but it becomes harder to just to the normal thing that I have to each day and then I''m not even mentioning what''s going on inside my heart.
Is there anything I can do to control this darkness inside me?
Answer 533 views

01 Jan 0001

Maybe Lexamil isn't suiting you. Generally, around 70 % of people are well suited by the first antidepressant they try, and quite a few of us have to try a second, maybe even a third, to find the type that suits us best - we differ that much in our individual, personal chemistry.
It generally takes around 2 weeks to see whether an AD is working well for you, and most good doctors should arrange to see you again in 12 weeks to assess this, so they can change you onto a different drug if necessary.
I NEVER EVER recommend that anyone try to treat depression with only medicines, though, and counselling should ALWAYS be part of the treatment.
I believe strongly in the value of CBT ( COgnitive-Behaviour Therapy ) a special type of counseling, which is especially effective both in depression broadly, but also in helping you to break the habits of hnegative thinking that can be such a stubborn part of depression.
With finding the right medicine and with counselling of the CBT type, you should be able to be free of this depression before long.
I hope you are seeing a specialist psychiatrist, as that is the best way to be sure of the diagnosis and to find the right direction for treatment, though then a GP can continue to provide prescriptions and monitor your progress.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.