Question

Desperate for a child
I'm writing you from Zambia and would like to find out about artificial insermination. In 2001 i had an ectopic pregnancy were i had one of my tubes removed, i was told that this would not affect my chances of conceiving but it's been 4 yrs but still i have not conceived so my husband and i have decided to try A.I. in Zambia we don't have the facility for A.I. so we would like to know were in S.A. we can have it done or if possible can we have it done with Dr. Cassim. financially speaking we can afford.
Please help me and my husband realise our dream of having a baby of our own.
fertility expert

Dear Lola

I do apologise for the "break in transmission". Just returned from our year end break!!

In order for artificial insemination to be successful, it is imperative that atleast one fallopian tube has to be patent. To confirm this I would recommend that an x-ray, called a hysterosylpingram(HSG) be performed. If the x-ray suggests that the remaining fallopian tube is patent, then an insemination is feasible and this can be arranged at our unit. However, if the x-rays show that the remaining tube is not patent, it would be necessary to perform In vitro Fertilisation(IVF), which implies that the egg and sperm has to be fertilised in a laboratory setting. The HSG can be done in Zambia.I would appreciate if you could contact me once this test has been performed. Alternatively all investigations can be done in South Africa. You could liaise with me with regards to this.