Question

Desperate for sleep!
Please help - I take a (prescribed) sleeping pill each night, am an incredibly light sleeper - any sound wakes me up and I can''t get back to sleep. I have tried all sorts of natural remedies as well. If I don''t take a sleeping pill, I don''t get any sleep! This has been for most of my adult life (now 43) and I am now desperate.... any solutions??? Thanks!
Sleep Expert
sleep expert

The problem with using sleeping pills every night is that your body gets used to them, so that if you try to come off them, for a couple of weeks you get a very bad insomnia. It does, however, settle down.

There are ways to come off the pills successfully (and, surprisingly, without too many problems), but it will need the help of a sleep doctor.