Question

Diabetes
Good Morning
I am a 37yr old femal with type 2 Diabetes. I was diagnosed some 10 years ago and have been on oral medication since then. Last week I was told that there is a possibility that I do not have type 2 Diabetes but rather something else - I cannot remember the full name, but it was "hyperinsulin.... " something... Apparently the symptoms of this are very similar to type 2 Diabetes and is relatively new and not well known. The symptoms include weight gain (and not being able to drop excess weight despite eating a balance diet and exercising), a hormonal imbalance, constipation, irregular periods, dry skin, liver problems, kidney problems, nausea, hair loss, bad skin, excessive thirst, frequent urination, water retention and a whole lot more.
Do you know what this condition is? Are you able to provide any more information regarding this or let me know where I can possibily obtain more information?
Thank you so much for a great website.

Dear Kaytee
Hyperinsulinism or insulin resistance is where the body makes enough insulin but the cells are resistant to it, so the effect is more or less the same as someone that makes too little insulin.
See http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/insulinresistance/