Question

Diabetes risk? Are there other forms of sugar intolerance?
Dear Doc

I am a 32yr old male, about 5-10 kg overweight, who does not exercise regularly, yet I am quite fit and healthy in most respects. I take flixotide for a mild asthma condition and feel good most of the time.

I do, however, have the following concerns regarding sugar.

Although I do not have the classic diabetes symptoms of thirst, frequent urination, highs and lows etc, I do notice that when I get into a rut of feeling heavy and sluggish my condition improves dramatically if I stay off sugar for a week. I have also noticed, to my surprise, that when I am upset or under a lot of strain, I can barely taste sugar, and do not notice the difference if I forget to add my normal 2-3 spoons into a cup of coffee. A few days later I find coffee like this unpalatable. I have never heard of this before, and wonder whether these symptoms indicate that I have some sort of sugar intolerance. It seems unlikely that they would indicate diabetes, but what else should I be concerned about?

Any ideas?

Dear Zulu
I think the cortisone treatment you use could be interfering with your taste perceptions. Do you need to use the Flixotide more often when you are stressed and then lose your sense of taste? I think you should consider reducing the extra weight you carry by eating a sensible diet - try the Weighless Diet- and ask your dr if you are allowed to do gentle exercise which will stimulate your metabolism and reduce stress. You can of course also ask the dr to do a glucose test to check if there is an abnormality.