Question

Diane and Melatonin
Hi.
I don''t know of you are the right person to contact about my question but here it is.
I have read on the internet that melatonin may interact with birth control pills.
I am on the DIANE birth control pill and due to the nature of my work (night shifts) I sometimes take melatonin pills to help me sleep.
Will melatonin pills interact with the Diane and make them ineffective?
Also, is melatonin bad for you?
Thanks so much
Christa
Pharmacist
pharmacist

Hi Christa

I wont say that Melatonin is bad - As long it does what you need it to do!

To the best of my knowledge Melatonin should not reduce the efficacy of your birth control pill - In fact, high-dose melatonin supplements have even been used pharmacologically in studies to suppress ovulation for birth control purposes.