Question

DIET &amp  MENSTRATION
I have (had) about 30 kg to loose, so on 10 May I consulted a dietician to assist me with my lifelong weight issues. She worked out a low GI plan for me. The 6 weeks was amazing, I lost an incredible 10.8 kg, but since then, absolutely nothing. Not even 100g, and I''m doing exactly what I was doing before.! What can I do to break this plateau? Secondly, I''m concerned as since I began this eating plan, I have not menstrated at all. Can this plateau be associated to the lack of menstration? Is there a link, and should I be concerned? I''m 51 years old and was not having any menopause symptoms.

Dear Just Wondering
I am thrilled to hear that you have already lost 1/3 of the weight you need to lose. It is difficult to decide if the change in diet or possible menopause could be causing your lack of menstruation. Generally speaking, a low-GI diet does not interfere with menstruation. Please ask you gp or gynae to check why you are not menstruating. To stimulate you metabolism and get weightloss going again, I would recommend that you start doing some form of exercise (skipping, jogging, brisk walking, rowing, cycling, swimming in a heated pool, etc) for 30 min a day. Start slowly and gradually work up to doing 30 min a day and increasing how much you exercise as you get fitter and lose more weight.