Ask an expert

08 Jul 2005

Hello Doc

I have been diagnosed with low blood sugar levels, the Gynie put me on Glukophage 500mg, what I would like to find out what is foods must I aviod and what must I eat to keep the levels normal and me feeling better.

Thanks Doc
Answer 380 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Amanda
Please for your own sake, do consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your hypoglycaemia and the Glucophage, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based in foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. Ask your doctor what type of exercise you are allowed to do and get more active, e.g. start going for brisk walks for about 30 min every day or join a good gym because regular exercise also stabilises blood sugar levels.
Best regards
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.