Question

Diet for Hiatus hernia
Greeting! I have just had G-scope and Colostomy scope - result: hiatus hertia. On top of this I have an irritable bowel syndrome problem. I would be keen to know what diet would suit me to deal with the bloating and the hiatus hernia. Many thanks!

Dear Mally
Yes, this is quite a difficult problem, but firstly you need to keep a food diary for about 2 weeks noting down the foods that cause YOU discomfort (this is often very individual) and then eliminate them from your diet. Some people react to white bread, others to brown, etc. Foods that are know to cause discomfort are: very spicy foods and condiments, gas cold drinks, alcohol, the cabbage family, legumes, raw onions, cucumber and green peppers, but experiment with these to see if you do react or not. For the IBS I have written an article which should be available on this Website. Click on 'Diet' and 'View old diet and food site' and browse.