Question

Diet for kidney failure

My dad has acute kidney failure due to his enlarged prostate.
The doctors have said his kidney function needs to improve before they can remove the prostate. Could you please give me suggestions as to which foods are high in potassium but low in salt and protein, because these are the foods I must feed him but I'm really running out of ideas. Any help would be really, really appreciated. Thank you.

Dear Monika
Kidney failure is a serious condition and I would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area) immediately. The dietitian will have to assess your dear Dad's condition and then work out a specific diet prescription for him. This is not something I can do for you over the Internet. It is really worthwhile to get individual assistance in such serious cases.
I do hope that you Dad will recover well.