Ask an expert

18 Feb 2003

Diet for lung infection sufferers
Hi Doc,

I suffer regularly from lung infections usualy starting from nasal drips. I am an athsma sufferer - though it is generally mild.

I was admiitted into hospital for three days last year to checkk me out as to why I was having breathing difficulties, and nothing was found (they did the works including breathing in radiation particals to check the lungs). At that stage I was doing no excercise. Since then I have restarted to swim and play squash regularly - started slowly and built up. I still suffer from mild athsma, but is much better than when I was a child. I do cough up small yellowish lumps in the morning and am not presently on atibiotics, but it does not affect my busy schedule. I was sick about four years ago with hepatitis A. I am 40 yrs old, about 6ft 5inches and weigh 85kg.

Could you please prescribe a diet for myself to aid my health issues as well as to slightly reduce my weight.

Thank you

Answer 434 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Moose
Have you ever been tested for a food allergy (milk, wheat, soya, etc)? If not, then please discuss such tests with your dr because that nasal drip could be an indication of such a problem and you mention that it is causing your lung infections. If you do test positive then we can have a look at the foods you would need to avoid. In the meanwhile, I would NOT advise you to lose any weight. Your BMI = 22, which is absolutely ideal for someone of your height. Losing weight will put a strain on your body which may compromise your immune system even more, so no dieting! I am very glad to hear that you are doing exercise which can be beneficial as long as you don't exacerbate your asthma. If you click on 'Diet' and "View old Diet & Food site' you can read the articles on 'Balanced Diet I-IV' which you need to apply for a healthy immune system. You can also try taking Salmon oil capsules to boost your omega-3 intake which helps immunity.
Best regards
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9323 votes
67% - 18743 votes