Question

Diet for uric acid kidney stones
Can you please advise us on which foods my husband can eat that would not cause uric acid stones?He's been admitted to hospital four times this year already. He loves meat and cheese, and although I try to limit his intake, I'm not sure what else to serve him as a main dish. Are all vegetables low in purine? And are some cheeses better to eat than others?(He adores cheese!) Is it safe for him to drink citro-soda every night,or is there another medicine that he can use on a regular basis to lower acid?
Thanks!

Dear Julane
Excessive uric acid buildup is caused by a disorder in the metabolism of so-called "purines", which are compounds that occur in high quantities in red meat, organ meats (brains, liver, kidneys, sweetbreads), anchovies, meat extracts, broth, bouillon, and gravies made from meat drippings, sardines, herrings, mackerel, mussels, partridge, fish roes, baker's and brewer's yeast taken as supplements. Beans, pulses, spinach, asparagus and mushrooms have a moderate purine content and can be eaten in moderate quantities. Other vegetables and fruits have a negligible purine content and can be eaten freely. He can eat cheese, but preferably cottage cheese. Your hubby can have citro-soda every night, but he needs to discuss other acid-lowering medications with the dr who is treating these stones. It is also important for him to drink plenty of water (up to 5 glasses a day) in addition to the other liquids he is ingesting to help to dilute the uric acid content of the urine. The dr may suggest medical interventions to treat the stones.