Question

DIET TONICS
Someone close to me has been taking a Thinz Diet Tonic for the past ten months, she is 5ft 4inches and weighs 54 kilograms. I am concerned that she is losing too much weight, she has already lost 10 kilograms and also what are the effects of taking this tonic for such a long period of time.

Dear Concerned
According to my copy of MIMS, Thinz contains nor-pseudoepinephrine, which is an appetite suppressant which can cause the following side-effects: nervous system and circulatory system problems, rapid heartbeat, heart problems, urine retention and other problems with urination, sweating, altered metabolism, tremor, muscular weakness, etc. At present your friend has a BMI of 20,3 which is below the ideal of 22 (for which she should weigh 59kg)! There epinephrine-based appetite suppressants can cause dependence and if taken for long periods even addiction because they give one a 'high'. I think you should caution your friend about the potential risks of eternal dieting and falling into the trap of anorexia.