Question

Dietician or Nutritionist
Do I need to consult a dietician or a nutritionist to ascertain if my current eating habits are covering my vitamin / mineral needs. I eat a very low fat, protein and dairy diet and am concerned that I may be compromising my overall requirements.

Dear Kaz
I did answer your question on 6 July 2005, but here is the answer again.
In South Africa you would consult a clinical dietitian. Check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area. However, it is highly likely that you may be deficient in a variety of nutrients (vitamins, minerals, bioflavonoids, omega-3 fatty acids) if you eat a minimalistic diet. You would need to take a complete vitamin and mineral supplement such as Centrum or Supradyn, plus extra calcium (Caltrate or Calcium Sandoz) and Salmon oil capsules (omega-3).
Take care