Ask an expert

07 Jul 2005

Dietician or Nutritionist
Do I need to consult a dietician or a nutritionist to ascertain if my current eating habits are covering my vitamin / mineral needs. I eat a very low fat, protein and dairy diet and am concerned that I may be compromising my overall requirements.

Answer 377 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Kaz
I did answer your question on 6 July 2005, but here is the answer again.
In South Africa you would consult a clinical dietitian. Check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area. However, it is highly likely that you may be deficient in a variety of nutrients (vitamins, minerals, bioflavonoids, omega-3 fatty acids) if you eat a minimalistic diet. You would need to take a complete vitamin and mineral supplement such as Centrum or Supradyn, plus extra calcium (Caltrate or Calcium Sandoz) and Salmon oil capsules (omega-3).
Take care
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9326 votes
67% - 18778 votes