Ask an expert

31 Jan 2013

I realized that I have a huge weight problem and from experience I know I can not do it alone.
I would like to go and see a dietitian to help me.
Please can you advise me how I go about finding the best dietitian in my area, in other words what do I look for?
Secondly would a dietitian example request blood test to see if one has any intolerance to specific foods etc.?
Many thanks!
Answer 318 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Annie
For ethical reasons I cannot refer you to see a specific dietitian, but of you visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area, you should be able to determine which dietitians work in your town or city. You can then phone the various practices and determine which dietitian specialises in your field which seems to be overweight and food intolerances. When you consult the dietitian she may ask you to have blood tests done by a medical laboratory to determine food allergies, if this should be necessary. But first identify your dietitian and once you have started your consultation, ask her/him about the various aspects of the treatment.
Best regards
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9320 votes
67% - 18609 votes