Question

difficult son of nearly 15
My son is turning 15 in a few days time. He has become extremely disrespectful over the last year. If I reprimand him for something he has done wrong, he goes into his bedroom and destroys everything in it. He swears and shouts, saying "What are you going to do about it". He has had drug issues from last year, and I suspect the marijuana is back. When I try and talk to him to find out why he is behaving the way he does, he walks away from me. I have offered to take him for therapy. The school psychologist told me that it is pointless sending him back to school this year, as he is always absent and does not want an education. There is nothing they can do to help him/me. Nowadays he just ignores everyone at home and only talks to his friends (when he talks to friends, he is completely normal and chirpy towards them). Maybe it is because the other day when I cleaned his room, I found signs of marijuana abuse, and told him that if he uses drugs in my house. Once again this triggered a distasteful situation. Please help as I am at my wits' end, and I have a young daughter at home, and all this conflict is not good for her. Please help?
Teen expert
teen expert

Hi there,

if you suspect the substance abuse is the main problem and from his behaviour it is clear that things have spiralled out of control, you need to consider a psychiatric intervention, preferable of an in-patient nature.

If you are in the Cape Town area I suggest you contact the Adolescent Unit at Kenilworth Clinic on 021 763 4500. If you are elsewhere in the country they may be able to tell you of units in other parts of SA.

I suggest you dont wait any longer as the problem is already serious if he is not attending school.