Question

Difficult to make true friends
Why is it so difficult to make long lasting true friendships in this world? I am fortunate enough to have made some really good long lasting friendships over the years but why is it so hard to make new friends and keep them. I almost feel like people play hard to get games. Maybe its human nature but I just wish people would be less shallow. Like recently I met up with an old school friend and we had a great time but when I contacted her afterwards she never bothered to respond to my message I left. I feel like an idiot sometimes for making the effort to try make new friends as people often reject you or just don't bother. I know its not becuase I am a strange desperate person because I have some lovely friends. What is the right way to try making new friends? I even asked my neighbour round for coffee a while ago and she said she couldn't make it but would love to come another time but she never got back to me.

I have the oddest sense of deja vu, feeling sure that I have responded to this question already --- but except for EK, all the responses are so thoughtful and helpful, I see nothing to add here