Ask an expert

31 Jul 2007

Dislocated knee?
Some years ago I fell awkwardly and twisted my knee, ever since then if I move my leg "wrong" my knee clicks out of place. I can actually hear it going. It is extremely painful and I have to force it back into position, it then aches for days. It also aches if I walk too much and I really love walking! I have a permanent lump on the outer side lower kneecap, which is exactly where it seems to click out of place. I dont know if it is possible to dislocate a knee? What can I do about it, bearing in mind that I am not on medical aid and cannot afford any expensive treatment.
Answer 350 views
Healthy Bones
Healthy Bones

01 Jan 0001

Dear Mary
I know that being without a medical aid really poses problems and the prospect of having to go to the local Provincial Hospital daunting, but I do think an orthopaedic surgeon needs to have a look at that knee. Maybe you can phone a few orthopaedic surgeons and find out what their rates are. Otherwise you can make an appointment at your local Provincial Hospital at the orthopaedic department. Unfortunately the waiting lists for procedures can be very long, but it is worth a try. Hope you get assistance somewhere.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.