Question

Disturbing dream
I hope I am not on the wrong forum and I apologise in advance for the long post but I occasionally experience a very strange dream that disturbs me very much. First of all I am never sure whether it is actually a dream because I am not sure whether I am asleep or awake while its going on. It goes something like this: I "wake up" in my bedroom, in my bed. Its dark, but I can "see" the gloomy interior of the room. Despite this, I am unable to open my eyes, try as I might. They feel heavy and glued shut. All around me a strong wind is blowing, I cant feel it but I can hear it. Also a strange, highpitched buzzing in my ears. I can't move. Often I try to sit up but can't; my limbs and body feel heavy or restrained. I can't make a sound; when I try to call out my tongue feels swollen and heavy; my voice doesn't work. My skin breaks out in almost painful goosebumps, it's so strong it feels like things running around under the skin. Even my scalp breaks out in goosebumps, I can hear my hair moving on the pillow as if its standing on end. There is no one in the room but I am aware of a menacing "presence" either in the room or approaching the room. I am usually terrified but unable to move or do a thing. Nothing else happens, these sensations just go on for quite a while, then gradually fade and I fall asleep again (?) The next day I remember the experience in detail and it disturbs and creeps me out for days afterwards. I never remember any of my other dreams in any great detail the next day, except for this specific one. There is no regular pattern to how often I get this dream; but recurs quite often. I don't believe in ghosts or spirits or aliens; I don't do drugs or drink any alcohol. I am never on any kind of medication when the dream happens. It is completely different from any other type of dream I have. It is absolutely terrifying while I am having it, yet nothing really happens except what I described above. Is there anyone out there who has or may have had a similar dream experience? Any ideas what it may be all about?

Nicolai is closest to it. This sounds like a variety of Sleep Paralysis ( which is nowhere near as awful as it sounds, and not dangerous at all ) best to see a good local shrink for assessment to confirm this, and for advice, if this is the case, on minor changes which could change the nature of your sleep and free you from this unpleasant experience