Ask an expert

03 Jul 2010

I want to divorce but I have not had contact with my husband for over 7 years. I know that he resides in Johannesburg somewhere. How do I get a divorce?
Answer 359 views
Family law expert
family law expert

01 Jan 0001

A Summons in a divorce must be delivered by personal service by the sheriff. The law allows you to make an application for substituted service. This involve the publication of the summons in various media/newspapers etc. in the area where you suspect him to be. Best is to do as much investigation as possible in the area where you suspect him to be as well as contacting all his family. Make sure that you keep all evidence of any investigation that you have made so that you can attach them to your application to the court.

Bertus Preller
Family Law Attorney
KWJ Inc.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9322 votes
67% - 18699 votes