Question

DIVORCE
I want to divorce but I have not had contact with my husband for over 7 years. I know that he resides in Johannesburg somewhere. How do I get a divorce?
Family law expert
family law expert

A Summons in a divorce must be delivered by personal service by the sheriff. The law allows you to make an application for substituted service. This involve the publication of the summons in various media/newspapers etc. in the area where you suspect him to be. Best is to do as much investigation as possible in the area where you suspect him to be as well as contacting all his family. Make sure that you keep all evidence of any investigation that you have made so that you can attach them to your application to the court.

Bertus Preller
Family Law Attorney
KWJ Inc.
www.divorceattorney.co.za