Question

Do Not Eat Vegatables
Please could you let me know; or alternatively let me know where to go or who to speak to regarding a nutritional diet.

I do not eat any vegatables. I am 25 and have never eaten any vegetables (aside from potatoes, corn, tomatoes, peas, squash and sweet potatoes.) My diet consists mainly of meat (fish, chicken, beef, lamb.) and rice and pasta.

Although I believe that I am getting my vitamins and minerals from the food that I do eat, I am being constantly nagged about the veggies that I don't eat by friends and family.

In your opnion, is there anything imortant that you can only get from veggies not via another food source?

I'd appreciate your professional opinion!

Kind regards,
Jo

Dear Jo
Fruits and vegetables contains very important protective nutrients such as vitamins, bioflavonoids, minerals and dietary fibre, e.g. citrus fruits and the cabbage family are our best sources of vit C which is a powerful antioxidant which protects us against a variety of diseases such as certain cancers, heart disease and depressed immunity. However, you do eat some vegies of which the tomatoes and sweet potatoes are amongst the most nutritious - tomatoes supply use with lycopene which helps to prevent cancer and sweet potatoes are rich in beta-carotene and dietary fibre. You can also try eating fresh and dried fruit to increase your intake of protective nutrients.