Question

31 Oct 2006

DOC: PLEASE HELP
Dear doc,

What does it mean if my progesterone level is 99? My dr said that pregnant women's progesterone level is over 60! I was so sure I was pregnant but then I did a blood test and it was negative. Can you please explain to me what my level meant then?

Thank you so much!
fertility expert

Dear wondering

Significantly raised progestrone levels such as in your case is often associated with fertility enhancing medication, eg Clomid. In such cases multiple ovulations will result in an extremely high progesterone level from the ovaries. It is also common to find such high levels in pregnancy but in the absence of a positive pregnancy test this wold rule out the latter possibility.
I certainly agree with you in that should there be any uncertainty as to the sighting of the pregnancy, and provided that the patient is not in acute distress or dangerit is best to continue a conservative approach until the matter is finally put to rest.