Question

Doctor's Obligations regarding cosmetic surgery
My girlfriend had breast reduction surgery about a year ago.
She is a model and is a very beautifull girl. The surgery left Huge scars on both her breasts which has now caused her to stop modelling due to her being unable to wear bikini's or short tops.

The scars are not small , and i would have thought that the doctor who did the surgery would have made the scars quite small (seeing that he was aware of the fact that she was a professional model)

we have spoken to some people and they say that he has really done a bad job on her and that she would require more cosmetic surgery and laser treatment to get rid of the scars she now carries.

I would love to fix her , as this is really putting major strain on her emotionally , but for us to spend in excess of R30000 to fix which was not broken seems a high price to pay ? (especially after spending R15000 to get the surgery done in the first place)

What is the Doctor's obligations towards her regarding this ?

WG, the length of the scars are dictated by the operation and the surgeon can try to keep it as short as possible. The width of the scar is less under the surgeon’s control. It is influenced by factors such as collagen in the skin, how the wound was closed and if there was an infection afterwards. Unfortunately I won’t really be able to give an opinion about whether the scars are acceptable or not without seeing the scars for myself. The best would be to get a second opinion from a different plastic surgeon.
If you mail me at netdoc@mweb.co.za, I’ll send you a link to a site that shows you what you can expect the scars to look like after the operation. You can even mail photographs and ask them what they think. Good luck.