Question

Does anyone believe that men and women can be friends?
Dear CS,

Do you believe that men and women can be friends? and i am not talking about the kind of friends that give each other a slap on the back when they meet.

I mean like really good friends like the kind of friendship you can have with your spouse. the reason i ask is because this is becoming increasingly difficult for me. i became friends with this guy recently, he's a famous musician who was telling me that its difficult to make friends outside of the business because they can't tell what the real reason is people want to befriend them.

anyway so i think i'm starting to fall for him but he has a girlfriend and i think we are from different worlds. so now i'm going to spend less time with him so that i can just sort out my feelings. but this confirms what I started to believe in recent years. men and women can't be friends unless its just on a shallow superficial level.

Yes indeed they can. Not every man and every woman, or in every possible combination, but it does occur. But it sounds in the situation you're describing, as though he would be happy to be your friend, but he already has a gf and doesn't need another, and you are looking for more than he is offering.