Question

Does cheese cause nightmares??
Feeling quite silly for asking this, but I read (in a YOU magazine) that there is an enzyme in cheese that triggers nightmares? CS, is there any truth in this? I used to have cheese sandwiches as a before-bedtime snack, but I always ended up having nightmares, so I stopped having it and the nightmares stopped. However, last night I had cheese and woke up this morning feeling absolutely terrified and shaky because of the horrible dreams I had. I still feel quite disturbed by what I dreamt.

Is it the cheese, or just the fact that eating before bedtime is not such a good idea? (I always have the munchies before I sleep)

I'm not sure about an enzyme, but chemicals in cheese and other concentrated dairy products can enhance sleep and dreaming, and if one is otherwise prone to nightmares at the time, might increase nightmares. Eating a large meal just before bed-time isn't a good idea in terms of promoting good sleep, but this isn't about nightmares.
When my DTSV connection was on the blink, I thought of having cheese and yogurt as a late-night snack to encourage some more colourful dreams. Try changing your late-night snack to something less cheesy, but easily digestible. And yes, one is cautious about believing everything you see in YOU --- I'm even cautious on the rare occasions they might quote me !