Question

Does happiness only depend on us ?
I often hear people say that happiness depends all on ourselves, that it is a state of mind. I am not always sure, I know we have a choice about responding to situations ? but sometimes I feel like a machine programmed to think that everything I do depends on me, but surely as human beings we must be influenced by our environment and the people around us. surely you can be happier if you are in love with someone and not just in love with yourself. whats the answer to real happiness does it all really depend on us or also on others around us ? frinds of mine often talk about how happy their lives are because they have wonderful partners and are in love ? Whats the answer ?

Of course we ae INFLUENCED by our enr\vironment ( and equally, we influence it ) --- but we are still at liberty to choose how we will feel about it.