Ask an expert

21 Jun 2011

Does Schizophrenia improve with age?
Good Day Sir
I have a question regarding Schizophrenia and Bipolar Mood disorder. My mom is turning 60 and we need to sort out here care, and the family is placing the responsibility on me but I work full time and am not sure how to sort this issue out with my mom. Last month she has not taken any medication and started hallucinating and then I got her some meds and then she was fine, and a week after the hallucinations started again. She went to the clinic and they gave her her normal meds and will only observe her condition on the 29th of this month. My question is does these illnesses improve or deteriorate as the person gets older? She is currently using the following medication daily: Chlopromazine 100mg 1 at night and one injection per month, 1 phenerine x3, 1 lithium x2, 500mg eppilim x2. She is also a diabetic and uses 2 glipizide x2, 2metforminx2. What would you suggest that she continues to stay on her own or that we find an oldage home for her to stay. I am not able to take her in.
Thank you.
Answer 529 views

01 Jan 0001

The trouble is there are really no universal laws to apply here, it's much more individual. So you'd want to meet with whichever doctor is seeing her and managing her treatment. He ought to be able to usefully tell you how her illness is likely to go, and what forms of care might be needed.
At least if she has a regular clinic which knows her and can supply meds, that's useful, but it sounds as though she'll need someone to supervise and make sure she has actually taken them. There are some forms of meds for schizophrenia which are long-acting injections, which can be given once every 2 weeks or month. Maybe that's the sort of injection she gets.
A good home might be good, if she would find that acceptable ; maybe someone at the clinic can advise whether in her area there is any possibility of a visiting nurse who could supervise her medication and enabl;e her to stay at home for longer.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.