Question

Dog behaviour
We have a 9 year old female spaniel dominating our 6 year old male spaniel. He is fine with it, and has accepted her as the leader. We now also have a 8 week old spaniel puppy. Our dominating female spaniel does not seem to be very interested in him, but sometimes she will grunt at him, and and two occasions even bit him. I think this is jealousy as well. But what should my reaction be towards her when she does this, should I punnish her, and let her out, and how do I teach the puppy not to become a crawling low ranking dog?

Hi Rene

Sounds like the dogs are establishing a pecking order and I would advise that you do not interfere as this is the sequence of events that would naturally occur with pack animals.

I think that you may have a very dominant female and unfortunately I think that the pup may become submissive

If the situation become difficult the please seek the advice of a qualified behaviourist