Ask an expert

26 Jul 2011

Dog peepee in House !
My small dog keep on peepee in the house against my funuture.Also ripping my habdbags open eaten my shoes jumping on bed (onnly when i,m not at home )
Answer 432 views
Dog Behaviour Expert
Dog Behaviour Expert

01 Jan 0001

Hi Zelmia, where the urination against furniture is concerned, if your dog has not been sterilized this is more likely to occur as it is part of the 'marking' behaviour that intact male dogs engage in and while dog is intact extremely difficult to stop. So if dog is intact I would suggest speaking to your vet about having him sterilized.
If dog has been sterilized, it could have started due to stress i.e. change in family circumstances, new job for owner, illness, loss of dog companion, new neighbours, boredom, frustration, lack of stimulation etc.
I have put in a link to toilet training article below for you to look at and would advise that you start toilet training right from the beginning. Make sure you wash any areas with a solution of 1/3 white vinegar to 2/3 water (or a product available at vet and pet shops for this purpose) and clean surfaces very well and then apply some pure Citronella oil to the soiled areas.
Where the destructive behaviour is concerned, if this is only happening when you are not at home, it is a sure sign of seperation anxiety and I am afraid you are going to need professional help with this. Sep. anxiety is one of the hardest behaviours to change, simply because the modifications required have to be done very slowly and consistantly to ensure that the dog is coping at each and every stage and much too involved to go into on a forum. If you let me know where you stay, either via the forum or my own e-mail, I will endeavour to put you in touch with somebody in your area. alternatively you can Google animal vehaviour consultants and will be guided to some sites that will help.
Good luck and underneath is the toilet training link, thanks Scotty,61400.asp
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
34% - 9266 votes
66% - 17854 votes