Question

Dog Pregnancy
Hi, I have a jack russel who is pregnant. If I calculated correctly, she should of had her pups on the 9th March (9 weeks). How long give or take is a dogs pregnancy. How long will it take to have her first pup and when should I start worrying if something is wrong, how would I know?

cybervet

On average, pregnancy lasts 63 days. It may also be slightly shorter and slightly longer and depends on various factors in her cycles. You should be worried if she starts wanting to have pups and is pushing unsuccessfully and unproductively for more than an hour. Also, if she goes beyond 65 days. Obviously, if you are worried take her to your vet for an examination. A sonar examination can really help to determine how far her pregnancy is or whether the pups are distressed or happy.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town