Question

31 May 2011

Dog with Puppies
Hi. My 9 month old minature Dobermant had puppies 2 days back.. She is feeding them but I see that 2 of her teets are swolen alot and she also have a slight fever. Is this normal and what can I do to relieve the tenderness and swelling?
Cybervet

Answer:
Swelling of the mammary glands 2 days after whelping could be consider to be normal especially if there is stasis of milk in those specific glands. This could be eased with cold packs (ice wrapped in a small towel). But I would urge you to rather have a vet look at your dog should you be worried about a fever, because infection of the mammary glands would require medical intervention.