Question

Don''t know what to do
Hi doc. I''m in a bit of a crisis. I have a 7 year old boy. He happens to love barbie dolls and Ken dolls. But at the same time also loves cars and garages. He has been asking me for so long to get him a Barbie Mermaid (a very long time) and so I decided to get it. Although he hides it as he is scared of being teased. Now my sister found out and told my sister in law and they are giving me hell. He is a very gentle soul and a beautiful boy and I don''t want to break his spirit. He just loves the hair and dressing them, no funny business involved. I feel awful now as it seems they are accusing me of turning him into a moffie (their words). Am I a bad mother. Also no father figure around except for my older son who is 19 and very strict with him and doesn''t play with. Am I awful for doing this?

Its your sister and sister-in-law who are behaving childishly and spitefully. Some boys have more culturally "feminine" interests as children, and grow into entirely usual heterosexual men. And some hairdressers are rampantly hetero stallions. Of course you're not a bad mother, and you're not awful at all.
But take the time to calmly chat about this with him - how he feels about what he plainly recognizes, that some people wouldn't understand his interests, and how he copes with that