Question

Dosage of omega3 for a 5 year old

Hello CyberDoc

I wrote to you earlier in the month about my son who is 5 years old ,weighs 20 kg and is borderline ADD/ADHD.I have since found some more information ,and I would like to confirm that giving my son 480 mg of DHA in omega 3 capsules will not harm him.I have got my information from a book called The LCP Solution by DR.J Stordy and M. Nicholl .I am living in Hong Kong at the moment and my local GP was not able to help me.My son must stay on this dosage for 3 months and then reduce down to half the dose.I am not giving him things like cod liver oil because of the danger of overdosing on vitamin A and D.Together with the omega3 ,I am giving him a product called Calmolin ADD by Triomed.I am very worried that I will overdose my son, as an omega 3 product I have found in Hong Kong says it should not be used in children under 12

At the moment I am only giving him 60mg of DHA until I am happy about the high dosage
Hope you can help
Maria

Maria, you won’t believe how many people I have consulted about this. Everyone has more or less the same answer: give him one capsule a day. I’m still trying to find out what the RDA for the different omega 3 fatty acids are, but up to now I’ve had no luck.
As far as I know it’s difficult to OD on omega 3, but I don’t want to take chances. Please mail me at CyberDoc@mweb.co.za so that I can get back to you as soon as I have a definite answer. Good luck.