Question

Down's Syndrome - Reccreational activiti
I am doing research on the necessity, availability and the effect of recreational activities for adults and children with Down's Syndrome. Can you please help? Thank you.
Katelynn Dey
University of Pretoria

HI Katie

I must confess that I don't know a great deal about this topic - it's quite a specialised field of research and no one from where I'm from (UCT) has ever done anything like this. So I'm limited to doing PubMed searches (which I presume you've done) and then I find quite a number of articles. If you do a PubMed search (which I'm sure you'll have access to, otherwise do the same on your library's search engine. Pubmed address = www.pubmed.gov/) for "exercise down's syndrome", you will see at least 50 articles, some of which are directly relevant, others not so much. There are for example papers looking at Influence of 12-week exercise training on fat mass percentage in adolescents with Down syndrome, and another one called Effects of aerobic conditioning and strength training on a child with Down syndrome: a case study.

So there's plenty out there, they'll be able to tell you more than enough, I'm sure.