Question

DREAMING EVERY NIGHT
REFERRED TO YOU BY THE CYBERDOC!

Dear CyberSHRINK

I have been dreaming every night for the past year and a half. From voilent to normal to just plain bizarre dreams (sometimes all in one night!) they make me feel exhausted in the mornings. I then have flashes of them throughout the day. Is it normal to dream every night?
I have always had trouble sleeping and wake from once to many times during the night.

I have been recently diagnosed with pre-diabetes and have a prolapsed mitral valve but am otherwise healthy.

Janice

Dream slep occurs every night, and our brains appear to need to do this. Most people simply aren't aware of how much they dream. We tend to remember none of the dreams while we are firmly aslep, but mainly thouse which either wake us up ( like nightmares ) or those which occur just as we aqre waking up. So anything that disturbs your natural sleep, causing you to wake more often during the night, will let you remember more dreams, and give the impression that you are having more dreams. And you confirm this later in your mesage. I don't see how your other medical conditions would be likely to contribute to this problem --- maybe you are under increased stress at work or at home ? A psychiatrist may be able, after a full assessment, to recommend some medication that would alter the balance of your sleep, let you sleep better, and reduce the number of dreams remembered