Question

? dry eyes
i wrote in a little while ago about my dog with conjunctivitis,

i took him to the vets and he was given fucithalmic acid eye drops. the problem seems not to have cleared up at all and my little dog is still rubbing his eye on the rug. we are due to go back to the vets for a follow up tomorow as he says he wants to test for dry eyes. i have noticed that my dog has a blocked nostril, i am worried that my vet has overlooked this despite my pointing it out. could thid be symptomatic of the eye if it is dry eye? my dog is 15 yrs old with stage one mitral valve insufficiency, could this have any bearing on his situation?
Cybervet

Hi Carrie

There are many causes of conjunctivitis in dogs.

These include; bacterial infections, corneal diseases, disorders of tear production, eyelid infections or abnormalities and viral infections - for example distemper, exposure to allergens/chemicals.

When I test an eye I usually do a shimmers tear test - test for dry eye (Kerato-Conjunctivitis Sicca) and a fluorscene test - checks for corneal ulcers and patency of the nasolacrimal duct.

The blocked nostril maybe important as this may interfere with the natural drainage from the nasolacrimal duct from the medial canthus of the eye