Question

ear discharge
i noticed my little sausage dog had a lot of muck around the entrance to one of her ears. i only noticed it by chance as she is showing no signs of this bothering her. of course i discovered it on a friday night when vets are all home :) murphy''s law ..hehe. i have cleaned her ear out yeserday with a dettol solution and she seemed fine. today i noticed a bit of discharge from the same ear, but much less profuse. it looks like a brownish runny colour. but like i said, she is not scratching or shaking her head. the ear is not hot to the touch either. shall i take her to see the vet tomorrow or shall i just monitor this and see how it goes in the next day or so? i dont want to leave her if there is a problem. my other dog has hayfever at the moment so i am wondering if this is an allergic response to some pollen?

Hi Carrie

If you are unhappy then please go to the vet.

Generally if there is no pain and the ear appears to be dirty with debris then I would get an animal ear cleaner - epiotic/otoclean from a vet shop or veterinary practice and clean the ear. The solutions helps disolve the wax and thus make ear cleaning easier. Please do this outside as the animal will shake it's head. You may need to clean 2-3 x a week. Note that you should never introduce cotton buds etc into the ear canal as this may cause trauma and may augment the ear problem. Please follow the instructions of the product.

Interesting if you suspect ear mites then you can use mineral oil to assist in there removal.

If you are uncertain then please visit the vet

I hope this helps