Question

Ear infection
I have a 4 1/2 year old male Sharpei. Every now and again he has an ear infection. He shakes his head so badly that he will (sounds like) crying.
We do not have a vet in our vasinity and I usually just get ear drops from the pharmacy. This only helps a little while for the pain. Is there anything I can do to prevent or clear this infection up? He is stubbord and is very difficult to clean his ears. He is very independant and always had been. He is the alfa male.

Please try and visit a vet as they will be able to give you options on how to treat the problem: this may be medically +/- surgical

If failing this and the dog does suffer from the listed problems outlined above then I would try the following;
a) Change the diet to that of a skin diet/hypoallegenic diet
b) Get a canine ear wash and wash the ears on a frequent basis- please do not put cotton wool etc in the ear canal as this could make matters worse.
c) Use the medicated ear drops to treat any possible underlying infection and reduce the inflammation.

You may have to wash his ears for the rest of his life or opt for surgery - Zepps procedure.

If failing the above then you may have to medicate the dogs with Prednisolone to keep the skin under control.