Question

Eat before or after gym

I have decided no more fad diets and money making diet products. Adopting new lifestyle to loss weight, joined the gym and following a balanced diet. With a hectic day at the office, I get home just before 6pm to prepare dinner, do homework, prepare kids for school the next day and home chores, I only get to the gym at 7pm. I do an hour cardio and 30mins weights everynight. I get home from the gym at 9pm and I am starving, what will be the best option to eat before gym (then I get cramps) or eat after gym (9pm at night sounds very late for food to digest, and will I still lose weight eating after 9pm)

Dear Eat Before or After Gym
Firstly, I would like to congratulate you on your decision to stop using fad diets and expensive pills and potions. Secondly, I would like to salute you as one of our wonderful working parents who does everything for everyone and has so little time for yourself. Because you get home from gym at 9 pm, I would recommend that you try the following: 1) Eat a more substantial lunch even although this entails more organising. Lunch will thus be your main meal of the day and if you include foods with a low-GI (click on 'Diet’nFood' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI), then this should keep your blood sugar and insulin levels steadier for longer and help you to have enough energy to do that exercise. 2) Have a healthy snack at about 5 pm (low-fat yoghurt with 30g of nuts and a fruit like an apple or pear) to keep the blood sugar going, so that you don't get so ravenous. 3) Then when you get home after gym at 9 pm, have a light meal (pasta with a tomato-vegetable sauce or a bit of tuna or fat-free cottage cheese with rye or low-GI bread and a glass of low-fat milk). The light meal should not interfere with your sleep and should prevent you from getting too hungry. Let's see if this inversion of the main meal and the snack plus a light supper can prevent you from getting so hungry after gym.
Keep up the good work - I reckon you deserve a medal!