Question

Eating Healthy &amp  pregnant
Diet doc,
I am a little worried. My weight isnt perfect at all, overweight is the word, like 20Kg''s, and I have been trying to lose weight and vwala, I found out Im pregnant.
Now I am little worried with all the nausea and all, I seem to want to eat bread, which I had initially stopped eating because of weight loss, but now it helps me to feel a little better.
I am not too sure what to do now as I dont want to gain more weight but maintain what I have now so that I can proceed where I''ve left off after delivery.
What sort of foods must I eat? I just wanna remain healthy!!!
Thanks a mil.

Dear Mphoza
Congratulations on your pregnancy. If you are overweight, this is not the time to try losing weight or to eat a restricted diet, because the developing baby has first priority and it requires a variety of nutrients to grow and develop normally. What you can do, is to eat a well balanced diet with a lower fat content. Ideally you should consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), who will help you with an individual diet prescription so that you and baby obtain all the nutrients you require without you gaining large amounts of additional weight. In the meanwhile, you can try eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'DietnFood' at the top of this page, then on 'Healthy Diets' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet). Please add another 2 servings of low-fat milk or yoghurt or maas per day (2 cups) to ensure that you obtain sufficient calcium for your needs and those of your baby. Ask the doctor who is overseeing your pregnancy if you are allowed to do exercise and what type he/she recommends. For example, most pregnant women can go for walks in the fresh air without harming their pregnancy. But check with the dr first before you start doing any form of exercise. Once the baby has been born and you have finished breastfeeding, you can use a stricter diet and do 30 min a day of aerobic exercise like jogging or skipping to lose that weight. Click on 'DietnFood', 'Eating throughout life' and 'Pregnancy' to read about diet and pregnancy and tips for controlling the nausea.
Wishing you all the best for your pregnancy