Question

Effects of Balanitis

A while back I was said to have balanitis. I was given a cream but this just seemed to make it worse. I eventually stopped using it and washed with anticeptic soap, which seemed to have worked. It was totally gone for a while but now and then it re-occurs, even if I didn't have sex for a while. Could you please offer some advise and also let me know if this condition can affect your libido or erectile function in any way?

Rodie

Rod, there are quite a few other causes for balanoposthitis (balanitis in the circumcised) than just a fungal infection. These include STD’s Reiter’s syndrome, fixed drug eruptions, contact dermatitis, psoriasis, lichen planus, seborrhoeic dermatitis, etc. The best would be to see your doctor or an urologist and have it sorted out. Good luck.