Ask an expert

14 Jan 2005

what can i use for a month old baby with ekseem?It's currently in the beginning stages.Thank you.
Answer 2,813 views
EnviroHealth expert
envirohealth expert

01 Jan 0001

Please ask CyberDoc about the best products to use.

There are several different types of eczema and a variety of causes and triggers. In terms of environmental causes, some cases get worse in the hot summer months, especially when the air is dry, and some in winter where the air is dry – cold dry air outside, or, particularly, dry air inside from indoor heating. Sometimes, eczema results from being in prolonged or repeated contact with irritant substances, such as soap, detergent, sweat, saliva, urine, or even water (e.g. very hot water or excessive washing). It can be the result of an allergy to certain foods (including cow’s milk, and foods eaten by a breastfeeding mother), chemicals e.g. in skin care or household products, or coming into contact with certain animals or plants. Tobacco smoke, pet hair, dust mites and moulds are also common indoor triggers, which are often worse when doors and windows are kept closed.

In addition to treatment prescribed by a doctor, you can try the following measures to help prevent and relieve eczema:
*Use a good moisturiser. Check the brand with your doctor or pharmacist to be quite sure this isn’t contributing to the problem.
*Baths shouldn’t be too long or frequent, and the water shouldn’t be very hot – this can dry out the skin. After washing, pat dry (don’t rub), and apply moisturiser.
*Avoid temperature extremes and dry air.
*Use mild soaps, shampoos and detergents, and use less of these. Avoid bubble-baths.
*Avoid contact with potentially irritating chemicals. Wash the skin immediately after contact with an irritant.
*Choose cotton clothes and bedding over wool and synthetics. Clothes should be loose and comfortable, not stiff or chafing. Don’t overdress your baby.
*Try using a humidifier to prevent dry indoor air.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
34% - 9269 votes
66% - 17863 votes