Question

Electrolytes
Hi Doc,

Just a little feed back. I went for blood tests and thing and my bloodsugar and BP is normal. Infact I am 100% healthy. My GP suggested electrolytes as I have been exercising very hard and I teach and swim in a salt water heated pool. It worked a charm, I feel new again.

Just one question. Once my treatment electrolyte packs are finished what can I use to replace electrolytes so that this does not happen again. Does any of the sports drinks have sufficient amounts of electrolytes in them and how much should I have after about an hour of swimming or cycling? I will then use it as my high GI food after exercise too.

Is there maybe something natural that I can make to replace electrolytes?

Lizz

Dear Lizz
I am so glad that your dr recommended electrolytes and that you are now doing so well on the electrolyte mixture. Most sports drinks contain potassium and sodium (electrolytes), so I would suggest that you try out which one agrees best with you (e.g. Powerade, Energade, EnerG, etc) and then use it as you suggest, namely as your high-GI food after exercise like swimming or cycling. Also experiment with having smaller quantities during your exercise because you may need the carbohydrates in the sports drinks to fuel your exercise while you are swimming or cycling and not just afterwards to replenish your glycogen stores in the liver and muscles. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'DietDoc's articles' and read articles 4, 6, 7, 12, 13, 14, 46, to read more about diets for sportsmen and women.