Question

Eligibility Criteria for Inferon Beta (Avonex) Again
Message:
I have heard that one doesn't qualify for Inferon Beta treatment unless one has had THREE (3) attacks of Multiple Sclerosis and there is Radiological evidence (even though 5 percent of patients with Multiple Sclerosis, particularly "galloping MS", will NEVER have a positive MRI). Is this correct ? Is this an eligibility criteria of the Medical Aid schemes or of the pharmaceutical industry ?
Date: 26/11/2005

Subject:
Posted by: CyberDoc
Message:
Jacklyn, I have no idea. I have forwarded your question to a friend of mine that specialises in MS – hopefully he will be able to help. Please repost this question by the end of the week so that I have somewhere to post his reply. Good luck.
Date: 28/11/2005

Hi Jacklyn,
Dr B here - standing in for regular cyberdoc - I don't have an answer for you yet.
BUT if you have a medical aid, contact them and ask them what their regulations are? They all differ!
The different specialists also have different ideas about how they treat their patients but
www.multiplesclerosis.co.za is a support group that will probably have all the answers at their fingertips.
www.mssociety.org.uk/about_us/international/south_africa.html is the South African MS society and will be able to give you names of specialists in your area.