Ask an expert

17 Mar 2003

Hi doc

I have excessive loose hanging inner skin of my labia majora.It is the skin between my labia majora and my labia minora and is very noticeable.Doctor it is very embarrasing and i need advise as to how it can be removed or what type of doctor i should consult?

I thought maybe having liposuction on the excess skin to prevent it from protruding outside of my labia.
Doc, please tell me what do you suggest?

Thank you
Answer 381 views

01 Jan 0001

This sounds quite normal. You will be surprised how many women have hanging labia minora. If you are concerned, a gynaecologist would be the person to see. Liposuction would not work. If you wanted to change the appearance of your vulva, it would require an operation to cut away the extra skin. Do remember that all operations carry risks. In this case, there would be a small possibility of scarring with painful sex thereafter.
Many men are unhappy with the appearance of their penises (probably more so than women), but few would actually resort to surgery for cosmetic reaons.

Best wishes
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9323 votes
67% - 18741 votes