Question

Emotional eating
Doc, I have a problem of eating food to compliment my mood. If I am happy, I will treat myself to an expensive, unhealthy meal. If I am sad and depressed, I go to a nearby supermarket and buy all the junk food I can get. I also prefer to eat alone so people don't see how and what I eat as I tend to eat very fast. I can finish a main course in 5 minutes. I have since gained 5kg in just 2 months. I now weigh 67kg and am only 23 years old. What can I do to stop this emotional eating and start to naturally shed the 5 kg I gained?

Dear Elsie
This is a well known phenomenon which has its roots in psychological problems. I would suggest that consult a clinical psychologist to get to the bottom of this reaction. You need to identify what psychological problems are causing this behaviour and to learn how to cope with them, without turning to food for comfort. You can find clinical psychologists in the Yellow Pages under 'Psychologists' or ask your gp to refer you. Once you have gained control of your emotional behaviour you can use a low-fat, high-fibre diet and exercise to shed those 5 kg.
Take care