Question

Encouragement or bribery
Hi CS and everybody else.

Would like your views on this please.

Should a child, *(8 year old boy) who is good in sports be offered money/treats for coming 1st, 2nd or 3rd???

My sister and I have totally different opinions here and both of us think we are right.

Your opinion please.

No. Were it my own family, definitely not. Bribery is not a great idea, and implies the kid is not excelling for the joy of doing well. Some kids justy have no hope of excelling in sport, however hard they work at it --- they should not be given the impression ( which some parents do give, even if not deliberately ) that sporting excellence is more important than good academic work or being an all-round good kid, kind to others, hard-working, etc. The schools and sports teams already make more than enough fuss of the successful sportsmen. Again, I recall attenting a 40 years on celebration at my old school, and was struck by how sad were many of the former sporting gods, and how few of them have had a seccessful or happy life since then --- it can give the sporting talent unrealistic expectations of how successful they will be in life