Question

Energy and strength variations
I am a 34 yo male who has been training with weights about 2-3 times per week and also participate in many sports such as surfing, boxing and touch football.

I have always experienced fairly significant differences in the amount of energy and strength I seem to have from day to day.

I eat 80% good food, 20% junk, am 5' 7' and 10.5 stone.

Are there any basic rules re. training schedules and diet that will help optimise my performance more consistantly? Thanks

Hi Bucko

Do you think you might be over-training? Most of us have our off days during the week, where the body simply is not interested in any demanding exercise. It is vital to give your body time to recover when this happens - otherwise you could eventually suffer from burnout.

Perhaps you need your training programme reviewed by one of our experts at the Sports Science Institute. You can speak to our Fitness Centre and ask for this on 021 659 5600 or our High Performance Centre on 021 659 5641.

Also e-mail Dietdoc and discuss your eating plan with her. Perhaps there are ways that you need to adjust your diet to accomodate your training.

Good luck!