Question

17 Sep 2009

Energy bars, is it good for you
I just love to ask you questions about things I wonder about and never have the answer to.
First question: PVN Energy Bars - good or bad if you eat 1 or 2 as a meal replacement?
Second question: I, also, don' t drink water at all, nothing. Never have as long as I can remember. I have about 3-6 cups of cofffee/tea and 1 Coke Zero per day. My BMI 20. Will anything bad happen to my body?

Dear C
Glad you like my answers to your questions. I don't have the kJ content and weight of the PVN Energy Bar, but according to the SA Food Tables, energy bars on average contain about 1900 kJ and 23 g of fat and weigh between 40 and 50 g. If you eat one such bar, you will be getting about 50% of the energy which is allocated for each main meal if you are not trying to lose weight. Eating 2 such bars will provide the full 2800 kJ allocated for lunch. In your case where you definitely don't need to lose weight, eating 2 energy bars will certainly not cause weight gain, but you will be ingesting a lot of fat (46g). As regards liquid intake adults are supposed to have 2,5 litres a day. You are having 6 x 250 = 1500 ml from coffee and tea plus about 300 ml (?) - 1800 ml of liquid a day which is a bit little esp in summer when one tends to sweat a lot. Have another 2-3 cups of tea or fruit juice or milk to make up your 2,5 litres of liquid a day.